Évvoia(redirected from Evvoia)
Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Euboea(yo͞obē`ə), island (1991 pop. 205,502), 1,467 sq mi (3,800 sq km), SE Greece, separated from Boeotia and Attica on the Greek mainland by the ÉvriposÉvripos
, strait, c.5 mi (8 km) long and from 120 ft to 1 mi (37 m–1.6 km) wide, forming the central and narrowest part of the channel separating the island of Évvoia from the Greek mainland.
..... Click the link for more information. strait. KhalkísKhalkís
, city (1991 pop. 51,646), capital of Évvoia (Euboea) prefecture, E Greece, on the island of Évvoia. Connected to the mainland by a bridge, the city is a trade center for local products, including wine, cotton, and citrus fruits.
..... Click the link for more information. is the main city and the administrative center. Évvoia is the largest of the Greek islands after Crete. The island is generally mountainous with fertile valleys; the highest points are Mt. Delphi (c.5,725 ft/1,745 m) and Mt. Oche (c.4,590 ft/1,400 m). Sheep, goats, and cattle are raised, and olives, grapes, and wheat are grown. Magnesite and lignite are mined, and marble is quarried. The island was settled by Ionian and Thracian colonists and was divided among seven independent cities, of which Khalkís and EretriaEretria
, ancient city of Greece, in Euboea (now Évvoia), SE of Chalcis (now Khalkís), its rival. In the 7th and 6th cent. B.C., Eretria sent out many colonists to islands and coasts of the N Aegean. It supported (499 B.C.
..... Click the link for more information. were the most important. Powerful and prosperous by the 8th cent. B.C., these cities established colonies in Macedonia, S Italy, and Sicily. The island was under the hegemony of Athens from 506 to 411 B.C. and was taken (c.338 B.C.) by Philip II of Macedon. It was annexed by Rome in 194 B.C. and later passed under Byzantine rule. As a result of the Fourth Crusade, it became (early 13th cent.) a colony of Venice. It was ceded to the Ottoman Turks in 1470. The island rebelled against the Turks in 1821 and in 1830 was incorporated into Greece. Its name in the Middle Ages was Negropont [black bridge], for the bridge connecting Khalkís with the mainland.
(also Euboea), an island in the Aegean Sea, off the shore of the Balkan Peninsula, with which the island is connected by a bridge. Ewoia belongs to Greece. Together with its small offshore islands, it has an area of 3,908 sq km, and it measures 170 km from northwest to southeast. As of 1971, it had a population of 165,400. Elevations reach 1,743 m in the Dirphys, and karst is well developed. Ewoia has Mediterranean shrubs and forests. Agriculture includes animal husbandry and the cultivation of subtropical crops. There are magnesite deposits at Limne. The capital of the island is the city of Khalkis (Chalcis).