Also found in: Wikipedia.
Fécamp(fākäN`), town (1990 pop. 21,143), Seine-Maritime dept., N France. A major port from the 12th to 17th cent., when Le Havre superseded it, Fécamp is now a resort on the English Channel with a casino, sports facilities, and a beach. The town also has shipyards, and food, textile, and machine-building industries. Fécamp dates back to Roman times. A monastery founded there c.660 became a pilgrimage site. Destroyed by Norsemen, it was rebuilt at the end of the 10th cent. and became the Benedictine Abbey of the Trinity. The abbey church, a magnificent example of 12th-century Norman architecture, has numerous additions from the 14th cent. Fécamp is famous for benedictinebenedictine
, sweet liqueur originated in 1510 by Benedictine monks at Fécamp, France, and now manufactured by a secular concern on the grounds of the old abbey. Every bottle bears the initials of the Latin dedication Deo Optimo Maximo
..... Click the link for more information. liqueur, which was first made by the monks in the 16th cent. and which is now made by a private company on the grounds of the old abbey.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/