Faro

(redirected from Faroes)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Related to Faroes: Færøerne

Faro

(fä`rō), town (1991 pop. 31,966), capital of Faro dist. and of Algarve, S Portugal. The southernmost town in Portugal, it is a seaport from which fish, fruit (especially dried figs), wine, and cork are exported. Tourism now dominates the economy. Important under the Moors, it was retaken in 1249.

faro

(fâr`ō) [for Pharaoh, from an old French card design], gambling game played with a pack of 52 cards. First played in France and England, faro was especially popular in U.S. gambling houses in the 19th cent. Players bet against a banker (dealer), who draws two cards–one that wins and another that loses–from the deck (or from a dealing box) to complete a turn. Bets–on which card will win or lose– are placed on each turn.

Faro

 

a city and fishing port in southern Portugal, on the Atlantic Ocean. Capital of the district of Faro (Algarve Province). Population, 30,300 (1970). Salt is mined nearby. Fish, agricultural products, and cork are exported from Faro.

References in periodicals archive ?
This transaction marks a major milestone for Faroe, which has taken Fenja through exploration and appraisal drilling to predevelopment work and validates Faroes business model of generating tangible shareholder returns from its exploration portfolio.
The Faroe Islands recorded their biggest ever victory when they beat Gibraltar 4-1 in a friendly in March 2014 but Liechtenstein could only draw with those opponents on Wednesday night.
BRIAN KERR doesn't expect Michael O'Neill to take part in another Greek tragedy in the Faroe Islands this week.
The Faroes are now fourth with six points, five points behind third-placed Hungary who earlier won 1-0 in Finland.
The defender said: "It's normally these types of boss games against sides like the Faroes that we slip up in.
I urge both Iceland and the Faroe Islands to negotiate to reach a fair and realistic settlement."
From the Faroe Islands (Figure), 174 cases of human chlamydophilosis were reported from 1930 to 1938 (3).
Under the contract, Faroe Ship shareholders would receive a payment of DKK100m and some 6% share in Eimskip, while Burdaras would own the remaining 94% in Eimskip.
Saturday's showdown at Hampden comes exactly a year after one of the most humiliating results in Scotland's 131-year-old international history - that infamous 2-2 draw with the Faroes. Mikkelsen played that afternoon and says: "I think we were all amazed at how easy it had been against the Scots in the first half when we went in 2-0 up at the interval.
The Scots had drawn 1-1 in the Faroes on their last visit, but had only surrendered a late equaliser when they were down to ten men.
Kurtzke continues his study of the Faroe Island data to this day, but the cause of the outbreak may never be established until more is understood about the cause of MS itself.
Faroe Petroleum, the independent oil and gas company focusing principally on exploration, appraisal and production opportunities in Norway, the UK and Atlantic Margin, is pleased to announce the results of the Brasse appraisal well in the Norwegian North Sea (Faroe 50% and operator, Point Resources 50%).