Fermo (fĕr`mō), town (1991 pop. 35,311), in the Marche, central Italy, on a hill in the Apennines, near the Adriatic Sea. Leather and cotton goods are manufactured, and it has a noted bronze foundry. An ancient town founded by the Sabines, Fermo was held by the papacy from the mid-16th cent. to 1860. Of note are pre-Roman walls, Roman ruins, and a 13th-century Gothic cathedral.