Far Eastern Branch of the Academy of Sciences of the Union of Soviet
Far Eastern Branch of the Academy of Sciences of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
organized in 1932 in Vladivostok upon the initiative of Academician V. L. Komarov for the purpose of research into the natural resources of the Far East. In 1957 the branch was joined to the Siberian division of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. The branch includes institutes of geology, soil biology, and biology of the sea; the Institute of Biologically Active Substances; departments of chemistry, history, economics, and technical cybernetics; a botanical garden; the Suputinskii and Kedrovaia Pad’ wildlife preserves; the V. L. Komarov Mountain-taiga Station; and a station for solar survey.
the branch became a main base for the establishment in 1970 of the Far Eastern Scientific Center of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR.