a city (since 1938) under the jurisdiction of Kiev Oblast, administrative center of Fastov Raion, Ukrainian SSR. Located on the Unava River, a tributary of the Irpen’, 64 km southwest of Kiev, Fastov is a railroad junction, with lines to Zhitomir, Kiev, Kazatin, and Znamenka. It produces machinery for the chemical industry and electrothermal equipment. It also has furniture and garment factories and enterprises for the servicing of rail transport and the production of foodstuffs and building materials. Cultural institutions include a museum of the city’s history.
Fastov was known as a village from 1390. It became part of the Russian Empire in 1793. In 1870 a railroad station was built in Fastov on the Kiev-Odessa line. Soviet power was established on Jan. 30 (Feb. 12), 1918. In 1923 Fastov became a raion administrative center in Belaia Tserkov’ Okrug, and in 1932, a raion administrative center in Kiev Oblast. It was designated a city in 1938. The city was occupied by fascist German troops from July 22, 1941, to Nov. 7, 1943. A partisan detachment operated in the area, and a Komsomol diversionary group was active at the railroad junction.