Shekhtel’, Fedor Osipovich
Born July 26 (Aug 7), 1859, in St. Petersburg; died July 7, 1926, in Moscow. Soviet architect. Academician of Architecture of the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts (from 1902). Chairman of the Moscow Architectural Society (1906–22).
Shekhtel’ taught at the Stroganov Industrial Arts School from 1896 to 1926. He was a prominent representative of art nouveau at the turn of the century. His works included a trade building on Kirov Street (1898), the former Riabushinskii house on Kachalov Street (1900), the Yaroslavl Railroad Station (1902), and architectural details on the Art Theater (1902), all in Moscow. His later buildings were distinguished by more rational and severe forms, including the trade building of the Merchants’ Society on Malyi Cherkasskii Lane (1909) in Moscow.