Fertilizers, Insecticides, and Fungicides, Institute for

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Fertilizers, Insecticides, and Fungicides, Institute for

 

(full name, la. V. Samoilov Institute for Fertilizers, Insecticides, and Fungicides), an institute of the Ministry of the Chemical Industry of the USSR.

The Institute for Fertilizers, Insecticides, and Fungicides was founded in Moscow in 1919 by la. V. Samoilov, E. V. Britske, and D. N. Prianishnikov. It was known as the Institute for Fertilizers from the time of its founding to 1933. The institute was organized from the Public Committee on Fertilizers, which had been established in 1916. As of 1975, it had laboratories devoted to the technology of fertilizers and sulfuric acid, physicochemical research, environmental protection, the design of apparatus for the production of fertilizers and sulfuric acid, new analytical methods, standardization, patent research, technical and economic research, and agricultural chemistry. The institute has a branch in the city of Voskresensk, Moscow Oblast. An experimental plant is located in Moscow, and there are pilot laboratories in the cities of Gomel’ (Byelorussian SSR) and Ionava (Lithuanian SSR). Also affiliated with the institute are the Dolgoprud-nyi and Ramenskoe agrotechnical experiment stations (Moscow Oblast), the experimental fields in Liubertsy (Moscow Oblast) and Grakovskoe (Kharkov Oblast), and the Chardzhou experimental site (Turkmen SSR).

The institute studies new methods of obtaining sulfuric acid, wet-process phosphoric acid, phosphorus-containing fertilizers (mixed and single), and feed phosphates. It evaluates new types of inorganic fertilizers and determines their efficiency. Graduate courses are offered both at the institute and by correspondence. The institute has published Trudy (Transactions) since 1919; until 1933 the publication was entitled Trudy NIU (Transactions of the Institute for Fertilizers).

E. V. IUZHNAIA

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.