Filippo Juvarra(redirected from Filippo Juvara)
(also F. Juvara). Born Mar. 27, 1678, in Messina; died Feb. 1, 1736, in Madrid. Italian architect.
Juvarra studied in Rome between 1703 and 1714 under C. Fontana. He worked in Messina in 1714 and primarily in Turin from 1714 to 1735; in 1719 and 1720 he designed a palace in Portugal. In 1735 he moved to Madrid. Juvarra’s works in Turin include the facade and staircase of the Palazzo Madama (1718–21), the reconstruction of the Palazzo Reale (1720–21), and the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine (1732–36). He is also known for the majestic Superga monastery and church complex (1715–31) and for the hunting lodge at Stupinigi (1729–34), both of which are located near Turin.
In his works Juvarra combined features of the late baroque (and partially of the rococo) with the tendency toward classically clear forms and rectilinear layouts that was characteristic of early 18th-century Italian architecture.