Fishing Industry Institute

Fishing Industry Institute

 

in the USSR, an institute for training engineers, economists, and ichthyologists for enterprises, vessels, organizations, and institutions of the fishing industry.

In 1975 there were three fishing industry institutes: the Astrakhan Fishing Industry Institute (founded in 1930), the Far Eastern Fishing Industry Institute (founded in 1950 in Vladivostok, with a branch in Petropavlovsk-na-Kamchatke), and the Kaliningrad Fishing Industry Institute (founded in 1930 in Moscow and moved to Kaliningrad in 1958, with a branch in Riga). Training is provided in the following specialties: shipbuilding and ship repairs, machinery and equipment for food production, ship machinery and mechanisms, ship propulsion units, ship electrical equipment, automation and full mechanization of chemical production, commercial fishing, ichthyology and pisciculture, navigation on seaways, operation of water transport, economics, and the organization of the foodstuffs industry.

Fishing industry specialists are also trained at the Murmansk (founded in 1950) and Kaliningrad (founded in 1966 in Kaliningrad Oblast) higher schools of maritime engineering. The three fishing industry institutes have daytime, evening, and correspondence divisions. The higher schools have daytime and correspondence divisions. All higher educational institutions have preparatory divisions and graduate courses. The Kaliningrad Fishing Industry Institute confers doctoral and candidate’s degrees. The program of study is five or six years.

Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
The Torry Wing is named after the former fishing industry institute and will facilitate R & D, whilst the Sydney Keane Wing, named in honour of the late trawler skipper and prime mover of the Institute, will house the pilot process and new product development facilities.