Freiburg, University of

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Freiburg, University of

 

(full name, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg), one of the oldest universities in the Federal Republic of Germany. It was founded in 1457 by Archduke Albrecht VI as the Albertine University. The university’s original faculties were those of theology, law, arts, and medicine; studies began in 1460. Beginning in 1620 the most important positions at the university were held by Jesuits. In 1767 the university became a state educational institution, and beginning in the early 19th century it was known as the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg owing to the support given it by Ludwig, Grand Duke of Baden.

In 1976 the University of Freiburg had faculties of theology, law, economics, and medicine, and four faculties of philosophy. It also had faculties of mathematics, physics, chemistry and pharmacy, biology, geosciences, and forestry, as well as a computer center and a library (founded 1974) containing 1.7 million volumes. In the 1975–76 academic year the university had 15,800 students and 800 faculty members, including approximately 200 professors.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
Participants visited the University of Konstanz, University of Freiburg, University of Tbingen, Ulm University, Institute for Quantum Optics, Center for Solar Energy and Hydrogen Research, Karlsruhe Institute Technology, Heidelberg University, Max Plank Institute for Nuclear Physics and University Stuttgart.
Full browser ?