a large locomotive and machine-building plant in Hungary; located in Budapest. Produces diesel locomotives, electric locomotives, diesel motor cars and multicar diesel trains, diesel engines, compressors, hydroturbines and hydraulic generator assemblies, pumps and pump equipment, bridge structures, and cranes.
Ganz-MÁVAG was formed in 1959 as the result of a merger between two factories built in the 19th century: the Ganz machine and railroad-car works and the MÁVAG locomotive and machine-building works. Ganz manufactured electric locomotives in addition to its other products; MÁVAG manufactured steam locomotives until 1959, and it began producing diesel switching locomotives in 1954. During World War II (1939-45) the MÁVAG and Ganz factories were heavily damaged, and some of the equipment was removed by German forces. Reconstruction of the plants was begun after the victory of the people’s democratic system and the liberation of Hungary from the Hitlerites. Production capacity reached its prewar level by the end of 1948. In 1969, Ganz-MÁVAG manufactured 122 diesel locomotives (400-800-hp switching locomotives and 1,000-hp main-line diesel-electric and diesel-hydraulic locomotives), 3,000-hp AC electric locomotives, and 46 diesel trains. The plant employed 19,000 workers in 1968. Its products are used in almost 40 countries around the world; the plant’s diesel locomotives and diesel trains are used in 27 of these countries.
A. A. ZMEEV