Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to Gentianaceae: gentian family


A family of dicotyledonous herbaceous plants in the order Gentianales distinguished by lacking stipules and having parietal placentation.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.



a family of dicotyledonous plants.

Gentianaceae are primarily herbs with opposite (sometimes verticillate) entire leaves. The flowers, most commonly gathered into clusters, are usually large and brightly colored, bisexual, regular, and tetramerous or pentamerous (or, rarely, with six to 12 members); the gynoecium is dimerous with a superior ovary. There are more than 70 genera (about 1,000 species), growing mostly in temperate and subtropical regions (especially in mountainous areas). Nine genera (more than 125 species) are found in the USSR; of these the most important are Gentiana and Erythraea. Almost all members of the family contain bitter glycosides. Some Gentianaceae are used in medicine and in floriculture.


Grossgeim, A. A. “Gorechavkovye.” In Flora SSSR, vol. 18. Moscow-Leningrad, 1962.
Takhtadzhian, A. L. Sistema i filogeniia tsvetkovykh rastenii. Moscow-Leningrad, 1966.


The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
Albert, Gentianaceae: Systematics and Natural History, Cambridge University Press, 2002.
Iridoid is derived from Scrophulariaceae, Rubiaceae, Labiatae, Gentianaceae, Oleaceae, and so on; it is mainly derived from Scrophularia L.
The Gentianaceae and Apocynaceae families were the most abundant; with 38 individuals (22.09%) and 24 individuals (13.95%) respectively; therefore, giving a total of 36.04 %.
Lackofaltitudinaltrends in phytochemical constituents of Swertia franchetiana (Gentianaceae).
The phylogeny of Gentianella (Gentianaceae) and its colonization of the southern hemisphere as revealed by nuclear and chloroplast DNA sequence variation.
Sierra Madre Oriental Cucurbitaceae Cyclanthera jeffreyi Lira & Rodriguez- Sierra Madre Oriental Arevalo Gentianaceae Geniostemon rotundifolius Rzedowski & Sierra Madre Oriental Calderon Iridaceae Sisyrinchium arguellesiae Ceja, Espejo Sierra Madre Oriental & Lopez-Ferrari Tigridia rzedowskiana Aaron Rodr.
2000, "Phylogenetic position of the genus Swertia (Gentianaceae) in the subtribe Swertiinae", Amer.
Such plants have arisen independently in many plant families including the Orchidaceae, Burmanniaceae, Corsiaceae, Scropulariaceae and Gentianaceae. Several closely related mycoheterotrophic species occur in subfamily Monotropoideae of family Ericaceae.