Hodges, George

(redirected from George Hodges)
Also found in: Wikipedia.

Hodges, George,

1856–1919, American Episcopal clergyman, b. Rome, N.Y. While at Calvary Church, Pittsburgh (1881–94), he attracted attention by the quality of his preaching. He was an early exponent of the Social GospelSocial Gospel,
liberal movement within American Protestantism that attempted to apply biblical teachings to problems associated with industrialization. It took form during the latter half of the 19th cent.
..... Click the link for more information.
 and founder of Kingsley House and other philanthropic agencies in Pittsburgh. From 1894 until his death he was dean of the Episcopal Theological School, Cambridge, Mass. He was the author of many books and articles.

Bibliography

See biography by his wife, Julia Shelley Hodges (1926).

References in periodicals archive ?
President George Hodges graciously turned this space over last spring to the recently retired Dick Allen, who served as Managing Editor of the Defense Counsel Journal for 17 years, but had never taken advantage of the opportunity to express himself.
Under the leadership of President George Hodges, we saw membership increase and diversify.
Survivors include her children, Henry and Melanie Hodges, Frank and Pamela Hodges, Anna and Kevin Sifferman, Frances and Charles McAlpin, Shirley and Thomas Lewis, George Hodges, and Sharna and Kevin Lee; 14 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.
Luz Urrutia, President and CEO of El Banco de Nuestra Comunidad and George Hodges, President of Hispanic Consumer Insights, will be special guest speakers.
Local mill owner George Hodges bought the house in 1848 and remodeled and enlarged it.
I am fortunate to be followed by a great lawyer, outstanding person and close friend, George Hodges.
In particular, Kathy Blaner, Bob Curley, Ralph Streza, George Hodges, Eric Wiechmann, Bill Porter, Becky Wilson, Mark Fox, Laurel Harbour, Stu Clark and Nancy Lawson.
built in 1830, was once the home of George Hodges, a former local mill owner who is buried, along with his wife, behind the church next door.
According to church records, Grace Episcopal Church was built, largely funded by mill owner George Hodges, of locally quarried stone in 1863.