Georgievsk

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Georgievsk

 

a city, the center of Georgievsk Raion, Stavropol’ Krai, RSFSR, on the Podkumok River (a tributary of the Kuma). It has a railroad station on the Mineral’nye Vody-Prokhladnaia line; there is a 94-km branch line from Georgievsk to Budennovsk. In 1970 its population was 44,000. Georgievsk has a major steel reinforcement plant, a brickyard, and auto-repair, silkworm-breeding, biochemical, and tanning plants. It has a large food industry (an oil mill, a cannery, a creamery, a flour mill, a winery, a brewery, and a meat- and fowl-processing combine). There is an agricultural mechanization technicum. Georgievsk originated as a fortress in 1777 and became a city in 1786.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
Under the Georgievsk Treaty of 1783, Georgia adopted Russian protectorate, which sealed the future of the Southern Caucasus.
The Georgian leaders' closeness to Russia rarely did any good to the country In 1783, the Treaty of Georgievsk was signed, sealing the status of Georgia's Kartli-Kakheti as a vassal state of the Russian Empire in exchange for providing security guarantees.
In 1783, the king of Kartli (in eastern Georgia) signed the Treaty of Georgievsk with the Russians, by which Russia agreed to take the kingdom as its protectorate.
He notes the period of 1787-97 when, despite commitments made in the 1783 Treaty of Georgievsk, Russia "abandoned" Georgia while the Persians ravaged the area and pillaged and burned Tbilisi, the capital, in 1795.
Doors are always locked and the curtains drawn at the family apartment in the southern Russian city of Georgievsk.
They took me back to much earlier events: to the inner prison at the Lubyanka and to Butyrki, to Stavropol prison, the Georgievsk transit prison, and to numerous transit prisons and camps in Ustvymlag and Usolag.
In 1783 the king of Kartli (in eastern Georgia) signed the Treaty of Georgievsk with the Russians, by which Russia agreed to take the kingdom as its protectorate.