Georgii Grigorevich Urazov
Urazov, Georgii Grigor’evich
Born Jan. 6 (18), 1884, in the village of Shatoi, in what is now the Chechen-Ingush ASSR; died Apr. 27, 1957, in Moscow. Soviet chemist and metallurgist. Academician of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR (1946; corresponding member, 1939).
Urazov studied under N. S. Kurnakov. After graduating from the St. Petersburg Polytechnic Institute in 1909, Urazov taught there, becoming a professor in 1921. In 1934 he became head of a department at the Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Beginning in 1938, he was also a professor at the M. V. Lomonosov Moscow Institute of Fine Chemical Technology and, as of 1943, a professor at the Moscow Institute of Nonferrous Metals and Gold.
Urazov’s research dealt mainly with metal alloys (particularly light, high-strength alloys), with systems consisting of metals, sulfides, and chlorides, and with the composition and processing of metal ores, natural salts, and bauxites. Urazov discovered a number of intermetallic compounds. Under his direction, expeditions explored the salt deposits near the Caspian Sea and the gulf of Kara-Bogaz-Gol. Urazov was awarded two Orders of Lenin, three other orders, and various medals.