Karavaev, Georgii Arkad’evich
Born Mar. 21 (Apr. 3), 1913, in Leningrad. Soviet statesman. Became a member of the CPSU in 1940. The son of a worker.
Karavaev graduated from the Leningrad Institute of Water Transport Engineering in 1935. Beginning in 1936, he held a succession of management posts in engineering and technical areas: work superintendent, deputy chief engineer, chief engineer, chief of a construction project, chief of a special construction and assembly section, and director of a trust. From 1951 to 1954, Karavaev headed the Glaviugstroi Trust and was deputy minister for the construction of machine-building enterprises of the USSR; he also was the chief of the Construction Directorate for the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw, Poland. Between 1954 and 1959, he was first deputy minister for the construction of enterprises in the metallurgical and chemical industries of the USSR, as well as assistant chairman of the Sverdlovsk council of the national economy. From 1959 to 1961, Karavaev was an executive in the State Committee on Construction Affairs of the Council of Ministers of the USSR. Between 1962 and 1963, he was chairman of the board of the All-Union Bank for Financing Capital Investments, a post of ministerial rank in the USSR. From 1963 to 1967, Karavaev was first deputy chairman of the State Committee on Construction Affairs of the Council of Ministers of the USSR, also a ministerial post. In February 1967, Karavaev became minister of construction of the USSR. At the Twenty-fourth Congress of the party, he was elected a candidate member of the Central Committee of the CPSU. He was a deputy to the seventh and eighth convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. He received the State Prize of the USSR in 1950. Karavaev has been awarded two Orders of Lenin, the Order of the October Revolution, four other orders, and a number of medals.