Gloucestershire(redirected from Glos.)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Gloucestershire(glŏs`tərshĭr', glô`stər–), county (1991 pop. 520,600), 1,025 sq mi (2,655 sq km), W central England. The county seat is GloucesterGloucester
, city (1991 pop. 106,526) and district, Gloucestershire, W central England, on the Severn River. Manufactures in Gloucester include aircraft components, agricultural machinery, railroad equipment, and processed foods.
..... Click the link for more information. . Administratively, the county is divided into six districts: Forest of Dean, Stroud, Gloucester, Tewkesbury, Cheltenham, and Cotswold. South Gloucestershire is an administratively independent unitary authority. In the eastern part of the county are the Cotswold Hills, devoted largely to dairy and crop farming; in the center is the fertile valley of the Severn River, devoted to dairy farming (Gloucester cheese) and sheep raising; and in the west, on the Welsh border, are the Wye valley and the Forest of Dean, also with sheep raising. Manufacturing (aircraft, engineering, paper, and tobacco products) is centered in Gloucester and CheltenhamCheltenham
, city (1991 pop. 87,188) and district, Gloucestershire, W central England. It has been a health and holiday resort since the discovery of mineral springs there in 1716. The city's products include bricks, beer, rubber goods, and anesthetics.
..... Click the link for more information. . Cirencester and Gloucester were centers of Roman road networks. The region became part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of MerciaMercia
, one of the kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England, consisting generally of the region of the Midlands. It was settled by Angles c.500, probably first along the Trent valley.
..... Click the link for more information. . In the Middle Ages the Cotswolds provided wool for an important wool trade in the county.
a county of SW England, situated around the lower Severn valley: contains the Forest of Dean and the main part of the Cotswold Hills: the geographical and ceremonial county includes the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire (part of Avon county from 1974 to 1996). Administrative centre: Gloucester. Pop. (excluding South Gloucestershire): 568 500 (2003 est.). Area (excluding South Gloucestershire): 2643 sq. km (1020 sq. miles)