Fort Mose Historic State Park

(redirected from Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose)

Fort Mose Historic State Park


Location:2 miles north of Castillo de San Marcos near Saint Augustine city gates on US 1.
Facilities:A new visitor center is under construction, and the park's pavilion and boardwalk are closed until the center is completed. Call 904-461-2033 for information.
Activities:When park is open: Boating/canoeing (no boat landings at the park), picnicking, hiking, wildlife viewing.
Special Features:Park has been closed to visitors during construction of a new visitor center. When it is open, the boardwalk in the park provides a view of the original Fort Mose site. Although nothing remains of the fort, the site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places because of its importance in American history. In 1738, the Spanish governor of Florida chartered Fort Mose as a settlement for freed Africans who had fled slavery in the British Carolinas. When Spain ceded Florida to Britain in 1763, the inhabitants of Fort Mose migrated to Cuba.
Address:c/o Anastasia State Park
1340-A A1A S
Saint Augustine, FL 32080

Phone:904-461-2033
Web: www.floridastateparks.org/fortmose
Size: 41 acres land; 0.25 acres water.

See other parks in Florida.
References in periodicals archive ?
Landers (1988) states that one such settlement was founded by Governor Mon-tiano, Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose. Founded on fertile land, the town Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose was said to have a river of salt water full of all types of fish.
"Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose: A Free Black Town in Spanish Colonial Florida", American Historical Association, No.
Landers also examines in detail the history of the first black settlement in Florida, Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose, inhabited primarily by runaway slaves from Carolina.