a film studio in the Georgian SSR, located in Tbilisi. In 1921 a film section was organized under the authority of the People’s Commissariat for Education of the Georgian SSR, and in 1923 the cinematographic trust Gos-kinoprom of Georgia, with a permanent film studio, was founded on the basis of the film section. In 1938 it was renamed the Tbilisi Film Studio, and its present name dates from 1953. (In 1958 the Georgian Studio of Newsreel-Documentary and Popular Scientific Films separated from Gruziia-fil’m.) Since 1930 the studio has also been producing cartoons. In 1944, Gruziia-fil’m was awarded the Order of Lenin.