Guadalcanal


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to Guadalcanal: Battle of Midway, Iwo Jima

Guadalcanal

(gwädəlkənăl`), volcanic island (2009 pop. 93,613), c.2,510 sq mi (6,500 sq km), South Pacific, largest of the Solomon IslandsSolomon Islands,
independent Commonwealth nation (2015 est. pop. 587,000), c.15,500 sq mi (40,150 sq km), SW Pacific, E of New Guinea. The islands that constitute the nation of the Solomon Islands—Guadalcanal, Malaita, New Georgia, the Santa Cruz Islands, Choiseul, Ysabel
..... Click the link for more information.
. HoniaraHoniara
, town (2009 pop. 64,609), capital of the Solomon Islands. Located on Guadalcanal in the SW Pacific, Honiara was rebuilt to replace the former capital of Tulaghi at the end of World War II and occupies the site of an important American campaign against the Japanese.
..... Click the link for more information.
, capital of the Solomon Islands, is there. The island is largely jungle. Mt. Makarakombou rises to 8,028 ft (2,447 m). There are coconut and oil palm plantations and some gold mining. The inhabitants, mostly Melanesians, live along the coasts. Discovered by English navigators in 1788, Guadalcanal became a British protectorate in 1893. During World War II it was occupied by the Japanese. In Aug., 1942, U.S. forces began their first large-scale invasion of a Japanese-held island; after bitter fighting, it was conquered (Feb., 1943). In 1999, attacks by the Gwale majority caused many of the Malaitan minority to flee their homes; by 2000 the conflict had escalated into battling between ethnic militias in Honiara and the jungle. Points of interest include a museum of Melanesian artifacts and Henderson Field, the main objective of the American invasion.

Guadalcanal

Marines triumphed in first major U.S. offensive of WWII (1942–1943). [Am. Hist.: Van Doren, 490]
See: Battle

Guadalcanal

a mountainous island in the SW Pacific, the largest of the Solomon Islands: under British protection until 1978; occupied by the Japanese (1942--43). Pop.: 60 275 (1999). Area: 6475 sq. km (2500 sq. miles)
References in periodicals archive ?
Lee served 18 months on Guadalcanal. How did he relieve his stress?
Japanese headquarters at Rabaul on the island of New Britain (about 650 miles northwest of Guadalcanal) got word of the American landings immediately.
In one anecdote shortly after Guadalcanal when the 8th Marines were recuperating on New Zealand, Elrod recalled: "We were going to Wellington, and I knew there would be a parade through the town.
Roger and Dennis Letourneau offer a revisionist look at a unique Japanese operation from the Guadalcanal campaign.
This is a military history of Operation KE, in which Japanese forces successfully evacuated some 10,600 Japanese soldiers from impending US attack in early 1943 in the process of ceding Guadalcanal to American and allied forces.
Less than a year later, USS Blue was patrolling the same waters near Guadalcanal as Capt.
Guadalcanal Battle monument and at memorials to the Solomon Scouts and Coast Watchers and to U.S.
The JV comprises five gold prospective licences on the island of Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, with NVL controlling 74% of it and SolGold the other 26%.
During this period, I was engaged in ethnographic fieldwork in the Vaturanga District of Guadalcanal in SI.
I was pleased to see Thomas Mahnken's piece on asymmetric warfare and the battles off Guadalcanal ["Asymmetric Warfare at Sea: The Naval Battles off Guadalcanal, 1942-1943" in the Winter 2011 issue of the Naval War College Review, pp.
NAVY AT GUADALCANAL provides an epic history of the most pivotal campaign of the Pacific war: Guadalcanal.
International Resource News-March 31, 2011--Solomon Gold PLC says NVL Solomon Islands Ltd taking on Guadalcanal Phase II(C)1994-2011 ENPublishing - http://www.enpublishing.co.uk