hit probability


Also found in: Acronyms.

hit probability

[′hit ‚präb·ə¦bil·əd·ē]
(ordnance)
The probability of hits being made on a target out of a given number of projectiles directed at the target.
References in periodicals archive ?
In doing so, it offered a greater hit probability on full-automatic than either the AKM or M16 series is capable of Alexandrov's AL-7 was an interesting step forward, but at the time the Soviet Union did not have the finances to switch to a more expensive combat rifle.
In every step i, the algorithm calculates the current probability distribution of the knee point which determines the hit probability [H.sub.i] and chooses [d.sub.i] to be the solution of the following optimization problem:
A 90 percent hit probability leaves a 10 percent window for error, the same 10 percent that leads to misses and cripples.
That improves the response time and hit probability, even in a complex environment with a high target density and involving highly agile and asymmetric threats.
But one question arose when I was kicking this subject around with G&A's editors: Does changing the grip size of these new and modern polymer pistols improve hit probability? Is there a point of impact (POI) shift?
These modes enable the operator to shorten reaction times and to increase the hit probability throughout the missile range.
Results exaggerated hit probability as they did not account for any gaps in the opposing line, battlefield stress or the exaggerated vertical aspect of the target.
Cavalry favored the shotgun for horseback engagements because of the difficulty of accurate aiming and the greater hit probability offered by either a charge of buckshot or the buck and ball load of one ball and three to six buckshot.
The Combat Magnum showed excellent first-shot hit probability. The factory neoprene grips proved comfortable when firing.
The system will provide the Leopard-1 fleet with a "target-detection, -recognition, and -identification capability in adverse weather and battlefield conditions," as well as "improved first-round hit probability in stationary and on-the-move firings against stationary and moving targets," according to Aselsan sources.