Iakov Grigorevich Bukhvostov
Bukhvostov, Iakov Grigor’evich
Dates of birth and death unknown. Russian architect of the late 17th century. Serf from the village of Nikol’skoe-Sverchkovo (now in Moscow Oblast).
Bukhvostov’s buildings were made of brick with rich, white-stone decoration in the Naryshkin style; they are characteristic of the late 17th-century Moscow architectural school—for example, the walls, towers, and the church above the gates of the New Jerusalem Monastery (1690-97, destroyed in 1941), a multitiered church in the village of Ubory, Moscow Oblast (1694-97), and the church at Troitskoe-Lykovo (1698-1704, now within the city limits of Moscow). The strengthening of the secular principle in religious architecture on the eve of the Petrine reforms found expression in the Uspenskii Cathedral at Riazan’ (1693-99). Also ascribed to Bukhvostov is the refectory attached to the Church of the Holy Ghost (1688-89) and the church above the gates (1688-89) of the Solotcha Monastery near Riazan’.
REFERENCESIl’in, M. A. Zodchii Iakov Bukhvostov. Moscow, 1959.
Tel’tevskii, P. A. Zodchii Bukhvostov. Moscow, 1960.