Novikov, Ignatii Trofimovich
Born Dec. 20, 1906 (Jan. 2, 1907), in the village of Kamenskoe, now Dneprodzer-zhinsk. Soviet statesman and party figure. Hero of Socialist Labor (1961); member of the CPSU since 1926.
The son of a worker, Novikov began working in 1919 as a miner. Beginning in 1923 he was a worker at the metallurgical plant in Kamenskoe. He graduated from the Dneprodzerzhinsk Metallurgical Institute in 1932. From 1932 to 1941 he was shop superintendent and chief power engineer at the factory in Voro-shilovsk (now Kommunarsk), director of an electric power plant, chief mechanical engineer at the Chimkent Lead Factory, and director of a factory in Saratov.
Novikov was secretary of the Saratov oblast party committee from 1941 to 1943. From 1943 to 1950 he was chief of the Central Board of the People’s Commissariat (later Ministry) of Electric Power Plants of the USSR. He was deputy chief of construction at the Gorky Hydroelectric Power Plant from 1950 to 1954 and head of construction at the Kremenchug Hydroelectric Power Plant from 1954 to 1958. In 1958 he became deputy minister in charge of electric power plants of the USSR, and in December of that year he was appointed minister for the construction of electric power plants in the USSR.
Novikov was named minister of energy resources and electrification of the USSR in 1962, and also became deputy chairman of the Council of Ministers of the USSR and chairman of Gos-stroi (State Committee for Construction) in November of that year. A delegate to the Eighteenth, Twentieth, and Twenty-second through Twenty-fourth Congresses of the CPSU, Novikov became a member of the Central Committee of the CPSU in 1961. He was a deputy to the sixth through ninth convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR.
Novikov has been awarded four Orders of Lenin, two other orders, and various medals.