References in periodicals archive ?
Olivia Colman earned an Academy Award as best actress for "The Favourite" after completing PBS' "Masterpiece" retelling of Victor Hugo's classic about desperate thief Jean Valjean (Dominic West) and his dogged nemesis, Inspector Javert (David Oyelowo).
But as he escapes parole to lead a reformed life, he is fiercely hunted by antagonistic Inspector Javert, intent on serving justice.
Dominic West, left, and David Oyelowo were outstanding as Jean Valjean and Inspector Javert, while Ellie Bamber was enchanting as Cosette.
1 LES MISERABLES Tonight, More4, 10pm IN 19th-century France, convict Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) is granted parole and leaves behind his tormentor, Inspector Javert (Russell Crowe), to reinvent himself as a factory owner, who comes to the aid of worker Fantine (Anne Hathaway, pictured).
2 LES MISERABLES Tomorrow, More4, 10pm IN 19th-century France, convict Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) is granted parole and leaves behind his tormentor, Inspector Javert (Russell Crowe), to reinvent himself as a factory owner, who comes to the aid of worker Fantine (Anne Hathaway, pictured).
He subsequently breaks parole and attempts to start his life over, only to be mercilessly tracked by totalitarian police inspector Javert.
Jean Valjean is convicted and imprisoned for stealing bread and is forced into labour under the eagle eye of Inspector Javert. He escapes after 19 years and resolves to live a good life, rising to the prestigious positions of factory owner and town mayor.
The largely Australian cast is led by Simon Gleeson as Jean Valjean and Kerrie Anne Greenland as Eponine, both Helpmann awardees (Australia's version of the Tony awards) for their performances in the musical; Earl Carpenter as Inspector Javert, who joins the Manila run direct from the ongoing Broadway production in New York; and Filipina actress Rachelle Ann Go as Fantine, who had been playing the same role in the Les Mis currently running at Queens Theatre, London, after her stint as Gigi in the West End revival of Miss Saigon.
However, even as a changed man who helps the poor and rescues an orphaned girl, he still cannot escape the suspicions of the ruthless Police Inspector Javert, who is determined to send him back to prison.
As the New York Times Book Review noted, he pinpoints "two Inspector Javert types": the state trooper who squeezed the truth out of Shaw, and victim advocate Terryl Warner.
A Little In Love by Susan Fletcher Publisher: Chicken House Price: PS10.99 Hardback (ebook PS4.49) MOST of us already know the story of Les Miserables, Victor Hugo's epic novel of the French Revolution mainly told through the eyes of Jean Valjean, Inspector Javert and featuring Cosette, Fantine and Marius.
Meanwhile, "Jean Valjean is the role of a lifetime,'' Angelini said of the lead character in the musical who once stole a loaf of bread to feed his sister's starving child and is unrelentingly persecuted throughout his life by the prosector Inspector Javert.
Encyclopedia browser ?
- insoluble anode
- insoluble residue
- Inspection and testing
- inspection by variables
- Inspection certificate
- inspection chamber
- inspection door
- inspection eye
- inspection fitting
- inspection hole
- inspection junction
- Inspection list
- inspection panel
- Inspector General, The
- Inspector Javert
- Inspectorate of Public Schools
- Inspirational Speaking, Writing, Art
- inspiratory capacity
- inspiratory reserve volume
- instability line
- instability strip
- install program
- installable file system
- installable ISAM
- installation error
- Installation inspection
- installation kit
- Installation of the Guru Granth Sahib
- installation processing control
- installation spec
- installation specification
- installation tape number
- Installation, Outdoor
Full browser ?
- inspector general
- Inspector General Act of 1978
- Inspector General Action Request
- Inspector General Auditor Training Institute
- Inspector General Basic Training Program
- Inspector General Division
- Inspector General Evaluation Management System
- Inspector General Exercise
- Inspector General for Investigations
- Inspector General for Tax Administration
- Inspector General For Worldwide Network
- Inspector General Honorary
- Inspector General Information Management System
- Inspector General of Financial Institutions
- Inspector General of Fortifications
- Inspector General of Intelligence and Security
- Inspector General of Justice
- Inspector General of Police
- Inspector General of Taxation
- Inspector General of the Armed Forces
- Inspector General of the Army
- Inspector General of the Department of Defense
- Inspector General of the Marine Corps
- Inspector General of the Territorial Army
- Inspector General Regional Office
- Inspector General's Department
- Inspector General's Office
- Inspector General, Supply Corps
- Inspector General, The
- Inspector Identification
- Inspector Javert
- Inspector Led Neighbourhood Area
- Inspector Lestrade
- Inspector Maigret
- Inspector of Degaussing
- Inspector of Election
- Inspector of Material
- Inspector of Naval Aircraft
- Inspector of Naval Material
- Inspector of Ordnance Machinery
- Inspector of Penitentiary
- Inspector of Record
- Inspector of Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries
- inspector of taxes
- Inspector of Torpedoes and Mines
- Inspector on Call
- Inspector Test Valve
- Inspector's Certificate
- Inspector's Certificates
- Inspector's or Judge's Certificate
- Inspector's or Judge's Certificates
- Inspector-General of the Australian Defence Force
- Inspectorate for Diving Equipment Servicing and Testing