Iosif IgnatEvich Loveiko
Loveiko, Iosif Ignat’Evich
Born Feb. 6 (19), 1906, in the village of Prokhory, in present-day Spasskii Raion, Primor’e Krai. Soviet architect. Honored Builder of the RSFSR (1966). Became a member of the CPSU in 1950.
From 1926 to 1931, Loveiko studied at Vkhutein (Higher Art and Technical Institute) and the Architectural Institute in Moscow under A. A. Vesnin and K. S. Mel’nikov. He served as the administrative chairman of the Moscow division of the Architects’ Union of the USSR from 1953 to 1955 and as the principal architect of Moscow from 1955 to 1960. Loveiko’s designs in Moscow include the lobby of the Dzerzhinskaia subway station (1935, in collaboration with the architect D. F. Fridman), the Hotel Sovetskaia (1950, in collaboration with V. V. Lebedev and P. P. Shteller; State Prize of the USSR, 1951), a housing complex on Mir Prospect (1952–55), and the design and construction of the residential section of Degunino (in collaboration with others, 1962–72). Loveiko has been awarded the Order of Lenin, the Order of the Patriotic War Second Class, and various medals.