Irkutsk Polytechnic Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Irkutsk Polytechnic Institute

 

founded in 1930 as a mining and metallurgical institute; it became a polytechnic institute in 1960.

The institute comprises (1972) the departments of mining, metallurgy, geological surveying, construction, chemical technology, power engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and machine building. It also has an evening division in Irkutsk and Cheremkhovo, a correspondence division in Irkutsk, and a general technical division in Bratsk. The institute has branches in Angarsk and Chita as well as a division preparing for entry into the institute. There is also a graduate division. The institute has 58 subdepartments and a laboratory for solving major scientific and technical problems. Its library has approximately 1.2 million storage units. In the 1971–72 academic year there were approximately 21,000 students enrolled at the institute, and more than 1,200 teachers were employed there, including nine doctors of sciences and 200 candidates of sciences. The institute has the right to approve the defense of candidates’ dissertations. Since 1972 it has copublished the interuniversity collection Izvestiia vuzov SSSR: Geologiia. Over the years, the institute has trained approximately 20,000 specialists.

A. A. IGOSHIN

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.