illustrated monthly journal of the fine arts, organ of the Ministry of Culture of the USSR, the Union of Artists of the USSR, and the Academy of Arts of the USSR.
has been published in Moscow since 1933, with a break from July 1941 through 1946. It appeared six times yearly until 1956, and eight times in 1957, coming out as a monthly since then. The magazine is concerned with Marxist-Leninist aesthetics and theory of the fine arts, the nation’s artistic heritage, and contemporary Soviet and foreign art. The magazine chronicles topics of current interest in the art world (exhibits, notes on art education, and so on) and publishes reviews of new books on the fine arts. Its circulation in 1974 was 16,000.
the publishing house of the State Committee of the Council of Ministers of the USSR on Publishing Affairs, the Printing Industry, and the Book Trade. It publishes works on aesthetics and on the history and theory of the fine arts and architecture, the theater and dramaturgy, motion pictures and photography, and radio and television, as well as literature for amateurs in the arts and art albums. Located in Moscow, it was founded in 1938 as successor to the publishing houses Izogiz (State Fine Arts Publishing House, founded in 1930) and Iskusstvo (founded in 1935). In 1971, Iskusstvo produced 282 books and pamphlets (113, 615,000 printer’s signatures), with a total circulation of 9,160,000 copies.