a name applied in Russian documents of the 12th through 17th centuries to the region between the Pechora River and the Northern Urals. It was also used to designate the Khanty and Mansi tribes living in the area.
From the late 12th century until the 1470’s, Iugra was controlled by the Novgorod Feudal Republic, and its inhabitants paid to trie republic a tribute of furs and walrus tusks. Beginning in the late 14th century, the Grand Principality of Moscow sought to conquer Iugra. During the second half of the 15th century, Iugra was gradually incorporated into the Russian state through a series of campaigns, which took place in 1465, 1483, and 1499–1500; the last of the campaigns was the most important. Most of the Khanty and Mansi principalities were eliminated by the end of the 16th century, and the remainder, by the 1640’s.
The name “Iugra” has been retained in a number of geographic names, such as Iugra Strait and the Iugra Peninsula.