Ivan Grigorevich Grigorovich-Barskii
Grigorovich-Barskii, Ivan Grigor’evich
Born 1713 in Kiev, died 1785. Ukrainian architect.
Grigorovich-Barskii studied art in the Kiev-Mogiliansk Academy. In the Podol section of Kiev he built an aqueduct with the Samson pavilion-fountain. (Completed during 1748— 49, the structure has not been preserved.) In Kiev he also designed the Pokrovskaia (1766) and Nikolai Naberezhnyi (1772–85) churches, an arcade of shops (1778), and the belfry over the gates of the Kirillovskii Monastery, which has not been preserved (1748–60). In addition. Grigorovich-Barskii built the town hall in Kozelets (c. 1756). During the last period of his creative work, traditional Ukrainian baroque style was complemented by elements of early Russian classicism.