Ivan Grigorevich Pavlovskii
Pavlovskii, Ivan Grigor’evich
Born Feb. 11 (24), 1909, in the village of Teremkovtsy, now in Chemerovtsy Raion, Khmel’nitskii Oblast. Soviet military leader, general of the army (1967). Hero of the Soviet Union (Feb. 21, 1969). Member of the CPSU from 1939.
Pavlovskii joined the Soviet Army in 1931. He completed the first year of studies at the M. V. Frunze Military Academy in 1941 and graduated from the Military Academy of the General Staff in 1948. In the Great Patriotic War (1941–45), he served on the Southern, Transcaucasian, Northern Caucasus, First Ukrainian, and First Byelorussian fronts. He became chief of staff and commander of a rifle regiment in 1941 and commander of a guards rifle brigade in 1942. He was commander of a rifle division from June 1943 until the end of the war.
After the war, Pavlovskii held responsible command positions. He served as first deputy commander of the forces of the Transcaucasian Military District from April 1958, commander of the forces of the Volga Military District from June 1961, commander of the forces of the Far Eastern Military District from November 1963, and deputy minister of defense of the USSR from April 1967. From November 1967, Pavlovskii was commander in chief of the ground forces and deputy minister of defense of the USSR. He was a deputy to the sixth through ninth convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Pavlovskii was a member of the Central Auditing Commission of the CPSU from 1966 to 1971. He became a member of the Central Committee of the CPSU in 1971. He was awarded two Orders of Lenin, six Orders of the Red Banner, the Order of Suvorov Second Class, the Order of the Red Star, and various medals, as well as orders and medals of foreign states.