Ivan Noevich Chkhenkeli
Chkhenkeli, Ivan Noevich
Born Sept. 16 (29), 1910, in Batumi. Soviet Georgian architect. Honored Artist of the Georgian SSR (1961). Member of the CPSU since 1945.
Chkhenkeli studied at the Civil Engineering Institute in Tbilisi from 1928 to 1933. He has taught at the Academy of Arts in Tbilisi since 1944. From 1959 to 1972 he was chief architect of Tbilisi, and since 1962 he has been chairman of the board of the Architects’ Union of Georgia. Most of Chkhenkeli’s major works are in Tbilisi. They include apartment houses on Plekhanov Prospect (1950), the renovated Communications Building (1954), and the Concert Hall of the Georgian State Philharmonic (1971). Chkhenkeli won the Rustaveli State Prize of the Georgian SSR in 1973. He has also been awarded two orders and various medals.