Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city (since 1954) in Kingisepp Raion, Leningrad Oblast, RSFSR; situated on the right bank of the Narva River, opposite the city of Narva, Estonian SSR. A railroad station on the Leningrad-Tallinn line, 159 km west of Leningrad.
Ivangorod was founded by Ivan III Vasil’evich in 1492 and was known in German documents of the late 15th century as Counter-Narva. The fortress of Ivangorod (built 1492–1610), with its strong stone walls and ten towers, was the first Russian defense complex with a symmetrical rectangular plan. In the 16th century, Ivangorod repeatedly withstood attacks by Germans, Swedes, and Poles. It was controlled by the Swedes from 1581 to 1590 and from 1612 to 1704; it was liberated by Russian troops in 1704.
Ivangorod is the site of the Narva Hydroelectric Power Plant, a plant producing boiler auxiliary equipment and pipelines, a linen and jute factory, and a fish-processing plant.