Ivano-Frankovsk

(redirected from Ivano-Frankivs'k)
Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Related to Ivano-Frankivs'k: Rivne, Ternopil
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Ivano-Frankovsk

 

(prior to 1962, Stanislav), a city and the administrative center of Ivano-Frankovsk Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. It lies in the foothills of the Carpathians, between the Bystritsa-Solotvinskaia and the Bystritsa-Nadvornianskaia rivers (Dnestr basin), at an elevation of 244 m. Ivano-Frankovsk is a highway and railway junction and has an airport. Population, 110,000 (1971; 66,000 in 1959).

The city was founded in 1662 and given the name Stanislaw after the Polish magnate Stanistaw Potocki. It was annexed by Austria in 1772 and formed part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire between 1867 and 1918. It was the capital of the bourgeois-nationalist Western Ukrainian People’s Republic from December 1918 to May 1919 and belonged to bourgeois Poland between 1919 and 1939. The city became part of the Ukrainian SSR in September 1939. It was occupied by German fascist troops from July 2,1941 to July 27, 1944. In 1962 the city was renamed in honor of the Ukrainian writer, Ivan Franko.

The most important enterprises in the city are those of light industry (knitwear, clothing, art objects, leather), food processing (meat, bread, and alcoholic beverages), woodworking (a furniture factory and a furniture combine), and metalworking (instruments, auto repair, and locomotive repair). Other enterprises include a tire-repair plant and factories producing chemical products, reinforced concrete products, bricks, and glass and mirrors. Ivano-Frankovsk is supplied with gas.

The city has an oil and gas institute, a medical institute, and a pedagogical institute. There are also five specialized secondary educational institutions: technicums of physical culture, agriculture, and Soviet trade and a medical and a music school The I. Franko Ukrainian Theater of Music and Drama and a puppet theater are found in the city, as well as a philharmonic society and the State Hutzul Song and Dance Ensemble. There is a museum of local lore. Architectural monuments include the Roman Catholic church (1672) and remains of fortifications.

N. N. RYBIN

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.