Izhora Land

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Izhora Land

 

the territory that was populated by the Ingrians, subordinated to Novgorod the Great from the 13th to the 15th century. Its area covered both shores of the Neva River and the southwestern shore of Lake Ladoga. Izhora Land was also known as Ingermanland or Ingria. In 1478 it was annexed by the grand principality of Moscow. In the 16th and 17th centuries the territory of the Vod’ people, which was located south of the Gulf of Finland as far as the Narova River and included the cities of lam, Kopor’e, and Ivangorod, was added to Izhora Land. The Russian peasant population continued to grow until the 17th century. The city population became entirely Russian between the 14th and 16th centuries. After the Livonian War in 1581, the western part of the Izhora Land, including lam, Kopor’e, and Ivangorod, was seized by Sweden and held until 1590. The area was occupied by the Swedes once again during the foreign intervention in Russia during the early 17th century. Izhora Land was finally returned to Russia during the Northern War of 1702–03. It was subsequently included in the province of St. Petersburg.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.