Jan Zachwatowicz


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Zachwatowicz, Jan

 

Born Mar. 4, 1900, in Gatchina, present-day Leningrad Oblast. Polish architect and architectural historian. Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences (1952) and of the Academy of Architecture in Paris (1967).

Zachwatowicz studied in Petrograd from 1918 to 1924 and at the Polytechnical Institute in Warsaw from 1924 to 1930, where he taught from 1925. From 1945 to 1957 he was the chief curator of the architectural monuments of the Polish People’s Republic. Zachwatowicz helped develop the plan for the rebuilding of Warsaw (1946) and participated in the restoration of architectural monuments in a number of Polish cities. He received the State Prize of the Polish People’s Republic in 1950.

WORKS

Ochrona zabytkow w Polsce. Warsaw, 1965.
Architektura polska. Warsaw, 1966. In Russian translation: Pol’skaia arkhitektura. Warsaw, 1967.
References in periodicals archive ?
Deputy Minister, General Conservator Magdalena Gawin pointed out that the Polish conservators Stanis?aw Lorentz and Jan Zachwatowicz "put a huge contribution to the reconstruction of the country after the war, and they also contributed to the creation of an international system of monument protection in UNESCO".
The story of these last photographs of the destroyed synagogues is told by Jan Zachwatowicz in his "Introduction" to the book:
(16) Jan Zachwatowicz, "Introduction," in Pietchotka, Wooden Synagogues, pp.