Pope, John Russell

(redirected from John Russell Pope)
Also found in: Wikipedia.

Pope, John Russell,

1874–1937, American architect, b. New York City, studied at the College of the City of New York and the School of Mines, Columbia (Ph.B., 1894). He won a fellowship (1895) to the American Academy in Rome. Pope's firm, established in New York City in 1900, consistently produced dignified architecture of classical inspiration. His designs include a long list of town and country residences. His public works at Washington, D.C., include the Scottish Rite Temple, the National Archives Building, Constitution Hall for the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the National Gallery of Art.

Bibliography

See study by S. M. Bedford (1998).

Pope, John Russell

(1874–1937)
Disciple of McKim Mead and White; trained at the École des Beaux-Arts, Paris. Designed the Jefferson Memorial (1937) and the National Gallery of Art (1937), both in Washington, DC, and the Sculpture Hall, Tate Gallery, London (1937).

Pope, John Russell

(1874–1937) architect; born in New York City. A prolific New York architect, he revived Gothic, Georgian, and classical styles. Among his neoclassical designs are the National Archives (1933–35) and the Jefferson Memorial (1937–43), both in Washington, D.C.
References in periodicals archive ?
The family commissioned John Russell Pope to build the West Wing and I.
For their firm had grown out of the architectural practice of John Russell Pope, possibly the finest of all American architects.
Mastering tradition; the residential architecture of John Russell Pope.
Upon assuming the club's presidency in 1936, and aware that the Continental lacked a permanent home, Livingston offered his plantation, complete with a 14,200-square-foot Greek revival mansion designed by John Russell Pope, one of the foremost architects of the era.
Romaine Walker who designed galleries for the Dutch art dealer, Joseph Duveen, and, later, his son; and subsequently in 1937 by the American classicist, John Russell Pope, responsible with Walker for the Duveen sculpture galleries which mark the central axis running north from Smith's entrance rotunda through a domed octagon.
Founded in 1903 as the Office of John Russell Pope, Architect, the firm changed its name in 1937 to Eggers & Higgins upon the death of Mr.