Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst
Also found in: Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst,U.S. military base, central N.J., SE of Trenton; est. 1917 as Camp Dix and named for U.S. statesman John A. DixDix, John Adams,
1798–1879, American statesman, b. Boscawen, N.H. He served in the War of 1812, was later admitted to the bar, and practiced law in Cooperstown, N.Y. He held high state offices and served (1845–49) as Democratic U.S. senator from New York.
..... Click the link for more information. . In 1939 it was made a permanent garrison and renamed Fort Dix. During World War II, Fort Dix was the largest army training center in the country. McGuire Air Force Base began in 1941 as an army air force base adjacent to the fort; it reopened in 1948 as an air force base. The joint base is a terminal for domestic and European military flights, and a training center for National Guard and Army Reserve units. Lakehurst Maxfield Field, a naval installation that was founded in 1921 and is located c.5 mi (8 lm) to the east, is the third component that was amalgamated into the joint base in 2009.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/