founded in 1957 in Nal’chik (on the basis of the pedagogical institute created in 1932 in Piatigorsk and moved in 1937 to Nal’chik). As of 1972 it included the departments of history and philology, engineering, medicine, agriculture, chemistry and biology, and physics and mathematics. It had evening, correspondence, and preparatory divisions; a graduate curriculum; 43 subdepartments; 13 scientific research laboratories, a training and experimental station, a training and scholarly base in the El’brus region, an agrobiological station, an astronomical pavilion, a station for the observation of artificial earth satellites; and a botanical garden. Its library has nearly 500, 000 titles. In the 1971–72 academic year, 9, 600 students (35 nationalities, including young people from Syria and Jordan) were enrolled at the university. There were 550 teachers; 26 of them were holders of the doctor of sciences degree and professors, and more than 250 of them were holders of the candidate’s degree and docents. Since 1957 the university has been publishing Uchenye zapiski. Over the years it has trained nearly 9, 000 specialists.
K. N. KEREFOV