a city in Voroshilovgrad Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, located 53 km west of Voroshilovgrad on the Kamyshevakha River (of the Severskii Donets River basin). The Kadievka railroad station is on the Popasnaia-Debal’tsevo line. Population, 139, 000 (1972; 123, 000 in 1959).
Kadievka arose in the 1840’s in connection with the mining of coal. Its peopling and the start of its economic development date from the turn of the 20th century. It became a city in 1932. During the years of Soviet power, Kadievka has become one of the largest industrial centers of the Donbas, with highly developed coal, metallurgical, chemical, and machine-building industries. Coal mines are located nearby (including the Tsentral’naia-Irmino Mine, where the Stakhanovite movement began). Kadievka has plants for the production of coal byproducts, railroad cars, ferroalloys, carbon black, and hydraulic equipment, as well as chemical and metallurgical plants and coal washeries. The machine-building plants manufacture traveling cranes, escalators, and other equipment. Kadievka also has a branch of the Kommunarsk Mining and Metallurgical Institute, a mining technicum, and medical and pedagogical schools. There is also the Museum of the History of the City. Large-scale industrial and housing construction is under way. New residential communities have appeared; 100,000 sq m of living space was built between 1966 and 1970. In the postwar period (1946–70) the center and principal districts of Kadievka were virtually created anew.