Also found in: Wikipedia.
a reservoir formed by the dam of the Kakhovka Hydro-engineering Complex on the Dnieper River, located in the Kherson, Dnepropetrovsk, and Zaporozh’e oblasts of the Ukrainian SSR.
The reservoir was filled from 1955 to 1958. Area, 2, 155 sq km; volume, 18.2 cu km; length, 230 km; maximum width, 25 km; average depth, 8.4 m; and maximum depth, 36 m. The reservoir’s level varies within limits of 3 m; it regulates water flow over seasons and to some extent over periods of several years. The North Crimean Canal originates at the reservoir and carries water to the farms, fields, and cities of the Crimea. As a result of the construction of the Kakhovka Reservoir, a deepwater route has been formed on the lower section of the Dnieper. The reservoir has fishing (bream, carp, and pike-perch). Located along the shores of the reservoir are the cities of Zaporozh’e, Nikopol’, Novaia Kakhovka, Kakhovka, Berislav, and Kamen-ka-Dneprovskaia.