Kalinin Cotton Textile Combine

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Kalinin Cotton Textile Combine

 

one of the oldest and largest textile enterprises in the USSR manufacturing cotton and staple fabrics, located in the city of Kalinin.

The Kalinin Cotton Textile Combine is an association of two spinning factories, two weaving mills, and a finishing factory. It was formed from the companies of the Tver’ Textile Manufacturers’ Association, founded in 1858 by S. Morozov and others. The company workers took part in the Revolution of 1905–07, the October Revolution of 1917, and socialist construction. During the Great Patriotic War of 1941–45 the combine was almost totally destroyed by the fascist German invaders. After the liberation of the city (Dec. 16, 1941) the plant was restored and modernized.

The factories of the combine are equipped with high-output equipment, such as automatic looms. The Kalinin Cotton Textile Combine was awarded the Order of Lenin in 1966.

V. PIGASIN

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.