Also found in: Wikipedia.
(until 1955, Marijampole), a city and administrative center of Kapsukas Raion, Lithuanian SSR, on the Šešupe River (a tributary of the Nemunas). Railroad station on the Kaunas-Kaliningrad line, 60 km southwest of Kaunas. Population, 30, 000 (1971). Equipment is manufactured for packing food products and automobile parts. The city has a cannery, sugar refinery, creamery, textile mill, and factory for the production of furniture. Prefabricated reinforced-concrete structures are also manufactured. Kapsukas is the site of a sovkhoz technicum, a pedagogical school, and a school of culture. A museum of local lore and a branch of the Kaunas Drama Theater are also there. Kapsukas was first established in the 18th century. Its name was changed in honor of V. S. Mickevicius-Kapsukas, a leader in Lithuania’s revolutionary workers’ movement.