Kashira Gorodishche

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Kashira Gorodishche

 

one of the most ancient (seventh-fourth centuries B.C.) sites of a fortified town of the D’iakovo culture. Located in the city of Kashira, Moscow Oblast, on the right bank of the Oka River, it was investigated by V. A. Gorodtsov in 1925–26. The town had been reinforced by an earthen bank, a moat, and an oak stockade. Approximately 22 round semisubterranean dwellings were discovered with centrally located stone hearths. Also found were articles made of clay (vessels, a distaff), bone (arrows, harpoons), iron (knives, sickles), and bronze (ornaments), as well as beads that had been brought from the south. The population of ancient Kashira consisted of a clan-type, patriarchal community. The principal occupation was stock raising; the secondary occupations were hunting and fishing. Hoe farming was not important.

REFERENCE

Gorodtsov, V. A. “Starshee Kashirskoe gorodishche (rezul’taty arkheologicheskikh issledovanii v 1925–1926 gg.).” Izvestiia Gosudarstvennoi Akademii istorii material’noi kul’tury, 1933, issue 85.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.