(Sibir’), the capital of the Tatar Siberian Khanate (beginning in the late 15th century).
Kashlyk was located on the right bank of the Irtysh at its confluence with the Sibirka River (17 km above Tobol’sk). The city was first mentioned (as Sibir’) in the literature of the early 14th century. In the 16th century the population of Kashlyk engaged in trading, crafts, fishing, farming, and cattle raising. In the fall of 1582, Kashlyk was captured by the troops of Ermak and abandoned by its residents.