Kaunas Art Museum

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Kaunas Art Museum

 

(full name, M. K. ČiurlionisKaunas Art Museum). Founded in 1921 and opened in 1925. The building was constructed between 1931 and 1936 (V. Dubeneckis, architect). The collections include examples of Lithuanian fine and decorative arts of the 17th–20th centuries, Lithuanian folk art of the 19th and 20th centuries (an extremely rich collection of wood sculpture), Western European art of the 16th–20th centuries, Oriental art, and Russian art of the 19th and 20th centuries. The M. K. Čiurlionis Gallery (1969; F. Vitas, architect) includes virtually all of the artist’s main works.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.