Kaunas Polytechnical Institute

Kaunas Polytechnical Institute

 

founded in 1950 as a result of the reorganization of the University of Kaunas. In 1972 the Kaunas Polytechnical Institute included departments of automation, engineering economics, light industry, machine building, mechanics, radio electronics, electrical engineering, chemical technology, construction and sanitation engineering, as well as evening, correspondence and preparatory divisions; there are also evening departments in Klaipėda, Šiauliai and Panevėžys. It has a graduate school, 68 subdepartments, and four special-problem laboratories and 18 laboratories in various special fields. The library has holdings of around 1.4 million volumes. In the 1972–73 academic year the institute had 15, 000 students, with 1,000 instructors, including 23 professors and doctors of science, and 415 docents and candidates of sciences. The institute has been authorized to accept doctoral and candidate dissertations for defense. The Kaunas Polytechnical Institute has published Trudy since 1949.

Since its foundation the institute has trained around 22, 000engineers. The Vilnius branch of the Kaunas Polytechnical Institute was reorganized in 1969 as the Vilnius Construction Engineering Institute.

M. A. MARTINAITIS

Mentioned in ?