Kazan Chemical-Technological Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Kazan Chemical-Technological Institute

 

(full name, S. M. Kirov Kazan Chemical-Technological Institute), a school training chemical and mechanical engineers for the chemical, petroleum, and petrochemical industries and for machine building. Founded in 1919, the insitute has departments (1972 data) of polymer materials, technology, mechanical engineering, petroleum, engineering, chemical technology, compressors, and automation; evening and correspondence departments of technology, mechanical engineering, and general engineering (in Nizhnekamsk); a department for the advanced training of instructors in institutions of higher learning; a graduate school; 45 subdepartments; nine laboratories for special problems and two branch laboratories, and a library with 700, 000 holdings.

In 1971–72 the institute had an enrollment of 11,000 students and a faculty of 765 instructors, including 32 professors and doctors of sciences and 350 docents and candidates of sciences. The institute has the right to accept doctoral and candidates’ dissertations for defense, and it publishes collections of articles on science and methodology. Since its foundation the institute has trained more than 17, 000 engineers.

P. A. KIRPICHNIKOV

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.