a preserve on the west bank of Amur Bay, Primor’e Krai, primarily in the Kedrovaia basin. Established in 1916 as a nature preserve, it has an area of 17,900 hectares (1970).
Most of the area is occupied by forests of oak, ash, various maples, linden, Amur cork tree, aralia, and Manchurian walnut; the tree trunks are often covered with vines. In the central part of Kedrovaia Pad’, indigenous coniferous and broad-leaved forests (chernopikhtarniki) have been preserved. The northern boundary of distribution of such rare species as Schmidt’s birch (Betula schmidtii ), old-fashioned weigela, and the large birth-wort (Aristolochia) extends through the preserve. Native fauna includes roe deer, wild boar, leopards, the Far Eastern wildcat, the yellow-throated marten, the Himalayan black bear, pheasants, and mandarin ducks; also encountered but not native to the region are tigers, gray wolves, lynx, and the European brown bear. Reptiles include brown and black mamushis; tiger and Japanese snakes; the species Elaphe schrenki, Elaphe dione, and Elaphe rutodorsata; and Amur and Korean lizards. An ancient primitive insect, Grilloblattina, has been discovered there. Salmon and trout spawn in the Kedrovaia River.
REFERENCESVasil’ev, N., A. Pankrat’ev, and E. Panov. Zapovednik “Kedrovaia Pad .’ ” Vladivostok, 1965.
Zapovedniki Sovetskogo Soiuza. Edited by A. G. Bannikov. Moscow, 1969.