Khaniá


Also found in: Dictionary.

Khaniá

(khänyä`) or

Canea

(kənē`ə), ancient Gr. Cydonia (sīdō`nēə), city (1991 pop. 50,077), capital of Khaniá prefecture, NW Crete, Greece, a port on the Gulf of Khaniá, an arm of the Sea of Crete. Olives, citrus fruits, and wine are shipped. One of the oldest Cretan cities, it was conquered in 69 B.C. by the Romans and in A.D. 826 fell under Arab rule. Reconquered (961) by the Byzantine Empire, it became (13th cent.) a Venetian colony. The Ottoman Empire took the city in 1645. It was the capital of Crete from 1841 to the mid-20th cent. The city has a synagogue, a mosque, and several churches. Among its historic sites are medieval fortifications and an old Venetian arsenal.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Khania

 

(also Canea), a city in Greece, on the northern coast of the island of Crete, on the Gulf of Khania, which is protected from the sea by the Akrotiri Peninsula. Capital of the nome of Khania. Population, 40,500 (1971). The center of a fruit-growing region, Khania is a commercial port that exports citrus fruits and wine.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.